Score: Albertus Magnus College, 84; Emmanuel College, 68
Records: Albertus Magnus College Falcons 9-3, 6-0 GNAC; Emmanuel College Saints 1-13, 0-5 GNAC
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, January 13, 2018
THE LEAD: Senior forward Jaqhawn Walters (Hartford, Conn.) recorded his ninth double-double of the season to power Albertus Magnus College past host Emmanuel College, 84-68, Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference men's basketball action on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Behind tough defense and selective shooting, the Saints jumped out to an early 11-8 lead following a layup by senior guard Colin Coredo (Bolton, Conn.) with 12:58 to play in the opening half.
- Over the next eight minutes of play, the Falcons took control of the action with an impressive 25-4 run fueled by four consecutive three point field goals, three by sophomore Jahmerikah Green-Younger (Norwalk, Conn.) and the fourth by senior guard Ryan Pittman (Stratford, Conn.) to make it 33-15 with less than five minutes in the stanza.
- The teams traded buckets through the end of the half as Albertus Magnus carried a 42-24 lead into halftime behind a 46.7% shooting performance from the floor.
- A 5-0 spurt to open the second half gave the Falcons a 47-24 lead before a layup by EC freshman forward Marcus Fox (Danbury, Conn.) disrupted the scoring barrage.
- Trailing by 22 (48-26), the Saints fought to get back in the action by outscoring the Falcons 23-10 over the next eight minutes of play, capped by a jumper by freshman Zachary Crisafulli (Hatfield, Mass.) to pull within single digits at 58-49 with 7:14 to play.
- After trading hoops for a few possessions, the Falcons put the game away with a 12-0 run that ended with an emphatic fast-break dunk from sophomore guard A'Jen English (Middletown, De.) to make it an 83-59 contest with under two minutes to play.
- The Saints outscored Albertus 9-1 in the final few minutes of regulation but it was not enough as the Falcons held on for the 84-68 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Walters recorded his ninth double-double of the season, scoring a game high 27 points and 14 rebounds.
- Sophomore guard Joe Tamburro (South Windsor, Conn.) led the Saints in points and minutes with 21 points, 12 of which came from behind the arc, in 33 minutes.
- Amir Maddred (Camden, NJ) of the Falcons controlled the paint with 24 points and made it to the free throw line for 17 shots.
- Fox shot 8-for-12 on the day scoring 17 points for the Saints, his third highest point total on the season.
- The Falcons have now won 18 consecutive meetings against Emmanuel dating back to the 2008-09 campaign and hold the all-time series lead by a 23-11 margin.
- The loss marks the 11th straight for the Saints, the second-longest losing streak in program history with only a 13-game slid in the inaugural season standing besting it.
- Emmanuel plays host to Johnson & Wales University on Tuesday, January 16th with a 7:30 PM tip.
- The Falcons look to stretch its win-streak to five as they travel to Middlebury College on Tuesday, January 16th at 7:00 PM.