Score: Norwich University, 66; Emmanuel College, 96
Records: Norwich University Cadets (10-14. 7-8 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (3-21, 2-13 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2018
THE LEAD: Senior duo Colin Cordero (Bolton, Conn.) and Alex Minetti (Wakefield, R.I.) led the way for the Saints, combining for a total of 33 points on Senior Night, to take down the Norwich University Cadets, 96-66, in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action on Tuesday evening, on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints came out of the gate with a six point lead over the first two minutes of the half from a made layup and free throw shot by freshman Marcus Fox (Danbury, Conn.) and a shot from behind the arc by sophomore Emmett Riddick (Middletown, Conn.)
- The Cadets closed the gap with a made three pointer of their own by Kyle Booth (Northfield, Vt.) before the Saints continued to open the lead to thirteen half way through the half off of a pair of made shots by Joe Tamburro (South Windsor, Conn.), 22-9.
- Mike Hogervost (Leiden, South Holland, Netherlands) attempted to control the paint for the Cadets with a made layup with 8:58 remaining in the half, but Cordero shut down any momentum with a three pointer of his own, 27-11.
- Norwich was able to stay within sixteen to close out the half, matching every point of the Saints for the last eight minutes, 42-26.
- The Saints were able to spread the lead to 21 points within the first six minutes of the second half as Minetti and Fox connected on back to back layups following two steals by Riddick, 62-41.
- Jesse Davis (Woodinville, Wash.) scored a consecutive seven points to close the gap back to 14 points, but the Saints then connected on four shots from behind the arc by Riddick, Tamburro, Minetti and Cordero, 74-48.
- In the final eight minutes of the contest, the Cadets slowed down the offensive attack of the Saints and was able to put an additional 18 points on the board led by Ryan Booth (Northfield, Vt.), but Emmanuel held the lead handedly to finish the night back in the winning column, 96-66.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Senior captain Cordero recorded a new school record in assists with 13 total on the way to his career double-double night, along with 14 points.
- Riddick, Minetti, Fox and Tamburro all recorded double-digits in the point's column, combining for a total of 62 points for the Saints.
- For the Cadets, Davis scored a game-high 23 points along with four rebounds, shooting 8-18 from the field.
- The Saints recorded a season high shooting percentage of 53.8, many of which came from behind the arc where Emmanuel scored a total of 48 points.
- Both squads wrap up regular season GNAC play this Saturday, February 17th when the Cadets head to Standish, Maine to take on Saint Joseph's College at 3:00 PM while the Saints travel to Paxton, Mass. to face Anna Maria College at 1:00 PM.