New Haven, Conn. – Junior Charlie Moran (Maitland, Fla.) scored five first half goals to power Emmanuel College past Albertus Magnus College, 20-4, Friday afternoon in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference Men's Lacrosse action at Celentano Field. The Saints improve to 7-8 overall and 4-3 in the GNAC while the loss drops the Falcons to 3-10 and 0-6.
HOW IT HAPPENED
It was on offensive and defensive battle in the opening period as Emmanuel took a 3-2 lead over Albertus Magnus. The Falcons struck first with a good goal from James May (Branford, Conn.) two minutes in until an unassisted goal from Tony Cibelli tied the game at 1-1. At the 9:15 mark, Bennet scored his first goal of the game and put the hosts up one, 2-1. However, Moran closed out the first period with back-to-back goals to give the hosts the upper hand entering the second.
The Saints offensive unit took over in the second quarter, outscoring the Falcons 7-1 in the frame. The Saints opened the stanza with five unanswered goals until Christopher Magnifico (Glastonbury, Conn.) found Bennet to break the Falcons' silence with their third goal of the game. Emmanuel would head into the locker room with the seven-point advantage, 10-3.
Four minutes into the third, Brennan Moore (Meriden, Conn.) found the back of the net for his sixth goal of the season and helped the Falcons' cut the Saints' lead to eight, 12-4.
However, that would be the Falcons' final goal of the evening and Emmanuel would end the game with an 8-0 run.
Emmanuel freshman goalie Erik Jennings (South Berwick, Maine) made five saves in the first half to pick up the win and improve to 4-0 on the year while junior Austin Rosenberg (Ronkonkoma, N.Y.) made five save in the second half allowing just one goal.
INSIDE THE STATS
- In net, junior Jack Kerner (Merrick, N.Y.) recorded the loss as well as recorded 10 saves. John Brunetti (West Haven, Conn.) also made an appearance in goal and registered a save.
- Emmanuel was led offensively by Moran who scored five goals
- Samnuel Carroll, Tony Cibelli, Sam Ward, Jack Boyle and Donnie Litzelman all scored two goals for the Saints while Sean Reilly, Steve Gervasio, Williams Barrs, Nicholas Bontempo and Ben Hartigg-Orr added one goal each
- The Saints won the ground ball battle, 73-57, as well as outshot the hosts 52-28.
- Albertus Magnus was 10-of-28 in face-offs and 26-of-33 in clear attempts.
- Greg Buck (Berlin, Conn.) recorded a team-high two assists.
The Falcons return to action next week against Johnson & Wales and Rivier while takes on Lasell in its 2017 regular-season finale.
*Release courtesy of Albertus Magnus College Sports Information