NEW HAVEN, CONN. – The Emmanuel College men's volleyball team earned its first GNAC win as the Saints topped host Albertus Magnus College in straight sets on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
It was an evenly matched first set as both teams battled through three ties until a service error from Alex Silva brought the hosts to within two, 13-11. However, Emmanuel would close out the frame with a 12-3 run to take set one, 25-14.
Similar to the first set, both teams came out strong and battled through seven ties before Albertus Magnus found themselves up one, 9-8, following a kill from Felix Rivas (Danbury, Conn.). Emmanuel managed to rally off 10 straight points, extending its lead to 19-9, before sealing the 2-0 lead heading into the third.
Emmanuel took control early in the set and never looked back as the Saints took the final set and match 25-11.
- Sophomore Aliijah McGee (Stratford, Conn.) assisted 10 of the Falcons' 14 kills while also adding three digs to his stat line.
- Freshman Brian Reyes (Danbury, Conn.) led the offensive attack with five kills as well as posted the Falcons' only service ace.
- Erik English of Emmanuel posted a team-high 10 kills while hitting .300 at the net.
- As a team, Emmanuel posted a stat line of 36 kills, 31 assists, 14 service aces, 20 digs and six block assists.
- Albertus finished the match with 11 assists, 11 digs and two block assists.
The Falcons return to action Wednesday, February 8th at CCNY. The Saints are back in action the same night when they head to Endicott College for a 7:00 PM non-conference tilt.
*Release courtesy of Albertus Magnus Athletic Communications