Score: Dickinson College, 58; Emmanuel College, 83
Records: Dickinson College Red Devils, (2-8); Emmanuel College Saints, (5-6)
Location: Whittier, Calif. – Whittier College
Date: Saturday, December 31, 2017
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College women's basketball team broke open a close game with a huge third quarter effort, outscoring Dickinson College 31-13 in the frame to coast to an 83-56 non-conference victory on Sunday afternoon at Whittier College.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After trading hoops to an early 5-5 score, Emmanuel reeled off a 6-0 run to stretch an early 11-5 lead following a hoop by sophomore guard Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (South Boston, Mass.).
- Emmanuel held the lead until midway through the second quarter when a triple by Hannah Heiring (Wayzata, Minn.) gave the Red Devils a brief 21-20 advantage before junior Christine Miller (Manchester, Maine) answered with a three of her own to put the Saints back on top, 23-21.
- EC maintained the two point lead to a 29-27 score before closing out the half on an 8-0 run fueled by a pair of buckets by senior guard Alisha Fox (National Park, N.J.) to push the Saints ahead by a 37-27 margin at the break.
- The flurry continued to start the third as Emmanuel opened the second half on a 14-2 jolt to take control of the action at 51-28 midway through the quarter.
- Emmanuel would go on to outscore the Red Devils 31-13 in the frame to hold a 68-40 lead heading into the final period.
- With the game in control, the Saints got some minutes for everyone dressing in the final frame coasting to the 83-58 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Fox finished the afternoon with a game-high 20 point outing on 7-for-11 shooting from the field, while Miller added 12 points.
- EC sophomore guard Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) was also in double-figures with 10 points.
- Heiring paced the Red Devils with 14 points while teammate Kassidy Lesher (Shoemakersville, Pa.) posted a double-double with 14 points and a game-high 16 rebounds for the double-double.
- With the win, Emmanuel College head coach Andy Yosinoff will enter 2018 just seven wins shy of recording his 800th career victory.
- The Saints are now idle until Thursday, January 11 when they play host to Mount Ida College at 7:00 PM in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action.
- Dickinson returns to the court next weekend on Saturday, January 6 for a Centennial Conference contest at Haverford College at 1:00 PM.