BOSTON, Mass. – The Emmanuel College women's basketball team is set to host Norwich University in the 2017 Great Northeast Athletic Conference Quarterfinals on Tuesday, February 20 at 7:00 PM on the Andy Yosinoff Court. The Saints bring a 19-6 overall record to the contest after posting a 15-1 mark in the GNAC to earn the No. 2 seed in the GNAC. The Cadets stand at 10-15 overall and posted 7-9 mark in the GNAC to secure the No. 7 seed.
Emmanuel is no stranger to the GNAC tournament making its 23rd consecutive appearance in the field while the Cadets are making their 19th trip. The Saints own a 55-7 all-time GNAC tournament record compared to a 25-16 mark for Norwich. Head to head in the tournament, Emmanuel is 9-2 all-time against NU but in their last tourney meeting in the GNAC Quarterfinals the Cadets pulled off a huge upset as the No. 8 seed by knocking off the No. 1 Saints in overtime, 84-78, in the 2014 GNAC playoffs. EC has dominated the all-time match up with a 38-4 record vs. the Cadets since the first meeting in 1986 and are 16-1 over the last 17 meetings.
EMMANUEL SCOUTING REPORT
- Sophomore Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (South Boston, Mass.) powers the Emmanuel offense with 15.4 points per game, good for 10th in the GNAC. Ramirez-Tejeda also pulls down a team-high 9.7 rebounds per game, the sixth-highest total in the conference.
- Junior Madison McLaughlin (Westerly, R.I.) dishes out 4.2 assists per game, good for fourth in the conference.
- The Saints possess an absolutely dominant offensive attack, as they sit first in the GNAC in points, points per game, field goals a game, and assists per game. They're shooting 43.6% from the field as a team while averaging 76.6 points per game over 25 contests this year.
- In his 41st season as head coach, Andy Yosinoff notched his 800th career victory on the way to a 19-6 overall record and an astounding 15-1 record in the GNAC.
NORWICH SCOUTING REPORT
- Norwich is led on the court by senior co-captain Shyann Josler (Thetford Center, Vt.). Josler leads the team in points per game (14.6) and assists per game (4.0) along with several other statistical categories.
- The other half of Norwich's leadership on the court is senior Arianna Harrison(Vernon, Vt.), who is nearly averaging a double-double this season on the court. She sits at 9.9 points and 8.6 rebounds per game this year and has posted seven double-doubles in 20 games played this year.
- With an offensive attack that's proven to be streaky at times this year, Norwich has had to use their defensive effort to win games. The Cadets rank second in the conference in points per game allowed (56.5) and opponents field goal percentage (33.0).
- Head Coach Mark Zacher leads Norwich to the playoffs for the fifth consecutive season, as the nine-year head coach tries to pilot the squad to the program's third GNAC Championship game appearance during his tenure ('09-'10, '13-'14).
Adult admission is $5.00 and children 12 and under is $2.00. Any student from either institution will receive free admission with their student-ID.
Tuesday's GNAC Semifinal game will be streamed live on the web with LiveStat coverage as well. To tune into the live action, click on one of the links below:
- Today marks the 12th meeting between Norwich and Emmanuel in the GNAC playoffs.
- In their 11 previous GNAC tournament meetings against each other, only two match-up between Emmanuel and Norwich has come in the GNAC quarterfinals.
- Of the other nine meetings, seven have come in the GNAC Finals and two meetings have taken place in the GNAC Semifinals including last season when the Saints ended the Cadets slate with a 73-67 win.
GNAC TOURNEY SCHEDULE
Tuesday, February 20 - Quarterfinals
Game 1: #8 Mount Ida at #1 Saint Joseph's Maine - 5:30 PM
Game 2: #5 Albertus Magnus at #4 Regis (Mass.) - 7:00 PM
Game 3: #6 Johnson & Wales at #3 Suffolk - 7:00 PM
Game 4: #7 Norwich at #2 Emmanuel - 7:00 PM
Thursday, February 22 - Semifinals
Game 5: 4/5 winner vs 1/8 winner
Game 6: 3/6 winner vs 2/7 winner
Saturday, February 24 - Final
Game 7: Highest remaining seed