Score: Emmanuel 4, Albertus Magnus, 1
Records: Emmanuel Saints (5-5-1, 4-01 GNAC); Albertus Magnus Falcons (3-4-1, 2-3-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Clemente Field
Date: Tuesday, September 26, 2017
The Lead: Junior forward Kayla Generis (Wethersfield, Conn.) scored two bookend goals to power the Emmanuel College women's soccer team past Albertus Magnus College, 4-1, Tuesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Generis opened the scoring in the seventh minute of play, connecting with classmate Mikayla Guthrie (North Andover, Mass.) for the one-two punch to give the hosts an early 1-0 lead.
- The Saints took a 2-0 lead at the 28 minute mark following a handball in the Falcons box that resulted in a penalty kick. Guthrie stepped up to the stripe and finished her fourth goal of the season to give Emmanuel a two-goal lead
- Albertus Magnus answered in the 37th minute with a PK of its own as the Saints were whistled for a handball in their own 18 to give senior midfielder Angelina Piccirillo (Naugatuck, Conn.) the chance to cut the lead in half. Piccirillo hit a hard strike to the keeper's lower left hand corner for her first goal of the season to pull the Falcons to a 2-1 score.
- AMC came out firing in the second half but after an initial flurry, Emmanuel stood its ground and took a 3-1 lead in the 59th minute on sophomore Abba McKenelley's (Middleton, Mass.) fourth goal of the campaign.
- Generis added an insurance goal in the 66th minute to account for the 4-1 final. Sophomore Kaylin Deschenes (Lynn, Mass.) started the play with a well-struck corner kick that found the head of freshman Paige White (Guilford, Conn.). White headed the ball to Generis who found the back of the net for the second time in the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emmanuel outshot the Falcons 21-7 on the evening and owned a 5-3 edge in corners, with all of them coming in the second half.
- The Saints are now 8-0-1 all-time at home against Albertus Magnus
- EC senior goalie Victoria LaRoche (Hudson, N.H.) made four saves in the first half to pick up the win and improve to 4-2-1 on the year while sophomore Alexis Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.) came on to work the second half, making two saves.
- AMC keeper Lexie Fenn (Oakville, Conn.) falls to 3-4-1 on the year making seven saves for the Falcons.
- The Saints are idle for eight days before returning to action next Wednesday, October 4 when they head to Lasell College for a 4:00 PM GNAC contest.
- Albertus Magnus plays host to Anna Maria on Saturday, October 30 in a 1:00 PM GNAC affair.