Score: Emmanuel College, 4 vs. Rivier University, 0
Records: Emmanuel Saints (7-6-1, 5-1-1 GNAC)
Location: Raider Field - Nashua, N.H.
Date: Wednesday, October 11
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College women's soccer team scored four second half goals to power past host Rivier University, 4-0, Wednesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Raider Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Despite outshooting the Raiders in the opening stanza by a 6-0 margin, the Saints were unable to find the back of the net and the game headed into halftime tie 0-0
- Emmanuel broke the tie just 58 seconds into the second half to take a 1-0 lead on junior forward Mikayla Guthrie's (North Andover, Mass.) sixth goal of the season. Junior midfielder Emily Medeiros (Barrington, R.I.) fired an initial shot of the crossbar and Guthrie crashed the net to knock home the rebound for the first goal of the night at 45:58.
- EC sophomore midfielder Abba McKenelley (Middleton, Mass.) made it 2-0 with her sixth goal of the campaign in the 67th minute.
- The visitors put the game away in the 76th minute as freshman forward Paige White (Guilford, Conn.) played a cross through the box to sophomore Kylie Rice (Bethlehem, Conn.). Rice took one touch central before finding the back of the net for her first collegiate tally.
- White capped the game's scoring with her third goal of the year, sneaking a shot in the near post following a long ball from senior defender Emily David (Uniondale, N.Y.) to account for the 4-0 final.
BY THE NUMBERS
- The Saints dominated the shot total, outshooting the Raiders by an 18-1 margin with the only shot attempt for the hosts coming in the second stanza by junior midfielder Nicole Godschall (Hudson, N.H.).
- Emmanuel also held a large advantage in attempted corner kicks, hitting 12 compared to one by Rivier.
- Rivier senior goalkeeper Lauren Goodspeed (Merrimack, N.H.) made eight saves in net for Rivier.
- EC sophomore keeper Alexis Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.) recorded her first career shutout and improves to 3-4 on the year in between the pipes for the Saints.
- The Saints return to action on Saturday afternoon when they play host to Regis (MA) at 3:00 PM in a GNAC showdown. Prior to the start of the contest, Emmanuel will celebrate "Senior Day" for the three seniors on the 2017 roster.
- Rivier is also back to the pitch on Saturday, heading into Boston to take on Suffolk University at 1:00 PM in more GNAC action.