Score: Emmanuel College, 2; Regis College, 1
Records: Emmanuel Saints (8-6-1, 6-1-1 GNAC); Regis Pride (3-8-1, 2-7-1 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Clemente Field
Date: Saturday, October 14, 2017
THE LEAD: Sophomore midfielder Abba McKenelley (Middleton, Mass.) and junior forward Kayla Generis (Wethersfield, Conn.) each score and assisted on the others goal to push Emmanuel College past Regis College, 2-1, Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference Women's Soccer action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Generis opened the afternoon's scoring with her sixth goal of the season to give Emmanuel a 1-0 lead in the 37th minute of play. Following an indirect free kick by sophomore Natalie Dash (East Hampton, Conn.), McKenelley redirected the play to Generis who volleyed home the game's first goal.
- Generis returned the favor in the second half, feeding McKenelley with a cross into the box during the 60th minute of action and the sophomore did the rest, burying her team-leading seventh goal of the year in the upper right hand corner of the net to make it 2-0.
- Regis continued to play the hosts tough and with less than nine minutes remaining in regulation made it a one-goal game when senior forward Tais Salles (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) scored her second goal of the campaign with the assist going to Emma Mendes (Pawtucket, R.I.) to make it 2-1.
- Emmanuel was able to limit the Pride's chances down the stretch and preserve the 2-1 result.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Saints owned a 21-4 advantage in shots including a 13-1 cushion in the opening half
- Emmanuel also controlled the corner kick output with a 5-2 edge over the Pride.
- Sophomore keeper Alexis Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.) earned the win for the Saints making one save over the 89 minutes to improve to 4-4 on the year between the pipes.
- Regis freshman Kyrsten Drake (Loganville, Ga.) suffered the loss making nine saves for the visitors.
- Prior to the start of the match the Saints honored its three seniors, recognizing Victoria LaRoche (Hudson, N.H.), Emily Schwartz (Barrington, R.I.) and Emily David (Valley Stream, N.Y.).
- The Saints return to action on Wednesday, October 18 when they host Suffolk University in a 7:00 PM GNAC contest.
- Regis plays host to Rivier University in more GNAC action on Tuesday, October 17 with a 7:30 PM scheduled kick-off.