Score: Carthage College, 1; Emmanuel College, 0
Records: Carthage College Lady Reds (6-6); Emmanuel College Saints (4-4)
Location: Clermont, Fla. – Hancock Park
Date: Friday, March 9, 2018
THE LEAD: Sophomore pitcher Stefanie Guercio (Park Ridge, Ill.) pitched a complete-game one-hitter to power Carthage College past the Emmanuel College softball team, 1-0, Friday afternoon in Day Five action of the NTC Spring Games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After retiring the sides in order in the first, the Lady Reds scored the only run of the game in the second on a leadoff home run to deep centerfield by sophomore second basemen Brooke Sefcik (Wauconda, Ill.) to give Carthage the 1-0 lead.
- Guercio was perfect through three innings until EC junior shortstop Audrey Esakoff (Ventura, Calif.) singled to centerfield to lead off the fourth.
- The Saints sacrificed Esakoff to second to give the meat of the order two chances to tie the game but Guercio was unfazed, stranding the runner in scoring position to hold the 1-0 lead.
- Carthage looked to add some insurance in the sixth as freshman Naomi Alonzo (South Elgin, Ill.) singled with one out and moved to third on a double down the left field line by Sefick.
- EC junior pitcher Megan Kieselback (Wethersfield, Conn.) worked her way out of the jam by getting two fly outs to end the inning and keep the score at 1-0 heading into the final frame.
- Guercio made quick work of the Saints in the seventh, retiring the side in order including back-to-back strikeouts to end the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Guercio improves to 4-1 on the year in the circle, allowing just the one hit while recording nine strikeouts.
- Kieselback threw well in defeat, surrendering just the one earned run on seven hits while striking out six. She falls to 2-3 on the year despite a stellar 1.34 ERA over 31+ innings of work.
- Esakoff has now hit safely in six of the eight games during the Spring Break trip
- Emmanuel returns to action later this evening in their Spring Break finale against University of Pitt-Greensburg at 7:00 PM
- The Lady Reds head home with a 6-6 record and are back in action on Wednesday, March 21 when they head to De Pere, Wis. for a doubleheader against St. Norbert College starting at 3:00 PM.