New Haven, Conn. – The Emmanuel College softball team split a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader on the road against Emmanuel (Mass.) College on Saturday afternoon at the Shea Softball Complex as part of Senior Day. The Saints took game one in five-innings, 13-4, but the Falcons bounced back taking the nightcap, 6-2.
In between game one and two, the softball team honored the accomplishments of its six-member senior class –Gillian Fortier (Naugatuck, Conn.), Samantha Maselli (Rockville Centre, N.Y.), Brianna Whitfield (West Islip, N.Y.), Melissa Castillo (Taftville, Conn.), Megan Ferraro (Branford, Conn.) and Daysia Wehder (Queens, N.Y.).
FINAL SCORE (G1): Emmanuel (Mass.) 13 | Albertus Magnus 4 – 5 innings
FINAL SCORE (G2): Albertus Magnus 6 | Emmanuel (Mass.) 2
RECORDS: Albertus Magnus (22-13, 15-7) | Emmanuel (Mass.) (21-16, 14-10)
HOW IT HAPPENED
Emmanuel (Mass.) took control early holding a 5-2 lead over the Falcons, following a three-run inning to start off game one. The Saints continued to swing the bat recording an impressive seven-run inning to put the game out of reach, 12-2, for the Falcons.
Down 13-2, Albertus was only able to score two runs in the bottom of the fifth before falling in five innings, 13-4, to the Saints. The win for Emmanuel was their ninth consecutive victory, setting a new program record for consecutive wins.
Emmanuel (Mass.) opened the nightcap with the quick 2-0 lead in the top of the second until Wehder hit her third home run of the season a half inning later to even the game at 2-2.
Albertus Magnus doubled its lead, 4-2, scoring two runs in the bottom of the third before the Falcons put the game away, 6-2, tacking two additional runs in the sixth.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
On the Mound (G1):
- Albertus Magnus: Megan Ferraro (L, 3-3) - 0.2 IP | 3 H | 3 R | 1 ER
- Emmanuel (Mass.):Megan Kiselback (W) - 5.0 IP | 6 H | 4 R | 3 ER | 1 SO
At the Plate (G1):
- Sophomore Aliza Esposito (East Haven, Conn.) collected two hits for Falcons as well as posted a run scored and a RBI.
- Fortier drove in a a game-high two runs.
- Olivia Burgos finished 3-of-5 with two RBI and two runs scored for the Saints.
- Along with Burgos, Audrey Esakoff tallied three hits as well as posted a run and a RBI.
- The Saints dominated at the plate tallying 14 hits compared to the Falcons who recorded only six.
On the Mound (G2):
- Albertus Magnus: Laura Anderson (W, 8-3) - 7.0 IP | 7 H | 2 R | 0 ER | 0 BB | 3 SO
- Emmanuel (Mass.): Olivia Burgos (L) - 6.0 IP | 12 H | 6 R | 6 ER | 0 BB | 3 SO | 1 HR
At the Plate (G2):
- Albertus Magnus out-hit the Saints in game two, 12-7.
- Whitfield led the Falcons' attack with three hits while Fortier and Wehder added two hits of their own.
- Along with her third home run of the season, Wehder collected a team-best three RBI.
- Freshman Madision Murphy (Milford, Conn.) added a hit and two RBI.
- Meaghan Price posted a team-best two hits for the Saints.
The Falcons returns to the Shea Softball Complex tomorrow, April 29th as the Falcons face Saint Joseph's of Maine while the Saints will await to see the GNAC tournament standings to determine their next game.