Score: Emmanuel 3, Eastern Nazarene 0 (25-17, 25-14, 25-20)
Records: Emmanuel Saints (1-3), Eastern Nazarene (3-3)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Thursday, September 7, 2017
The Lead: The Emmanuel College Women's Volleyball team earned their first victory of the year against the Eastern Nazarene Lions in three sets Thursday night in a non-conference match up on Andy Yosinoff Court in Boston Mass.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emmanuel out hit the Lions 31-17 in in kills, owning a slight 112-107 advantage in total attack
- The Saints also edged out Eastern Nazarene on the defensive side out digging them 60-51
- The Saints boasted a 28-15 lead in assists
- The two teams were tough to beat at the net with both sides claiming eight assisted blocks, the Lions added one solo block on the night as well.
- The match concluded in three sets lasting 82 minutes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints jetted out to a 10-3 lead in the first set with four of the points coming from sophomore Alexandra Mezzo (Naugatuck, Conn.) kills and three of the points coming from junior Katharine Journeay (Hampton, N.H.) service aces.
- Eastern Nazarene fought their way back into the first set, but were held off by the Saints for a 25-17 final.
- The second stanza remained tight until Emmanuel went on a 7-0 run to open a 18-6 lead before closing out the set 25-14.
- The third frame was the closest of the night with the Saints closing the match out 25-20. Junior setter Carly Church (Higganum, Conn.) contributed 10 of her 21 assists in the final set.
- Eastern Nazarene's Rebecca Ashman, McKenzie Walling and Courtney McCarthy all had double digit digs, while Emmanuel's Journeay led the game with 21 followed by Michelle Church (Higganum, Conn.) with 16.
- Marrissa Cataldo (Melrose, Mass.) led the game with nine kills for the Saints
- The Saints return to action Saturday, September 9 when they play host to University of Saint Joseph (Conn.) and The University of Southern Maine on Andy Yosinoff Court.
- Eastern Nazarene will host Umass-Dartmouth.