Date: Friday, August 30, 2019
Location: Boston, Mass. – Back Bay Fens
Meet Host: Emmanuel College
Men's Finish: 2nd of 3 teams
Women's Finish: 2nd of 4 teams
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College Cross Country program opened the 2019 season hosting the 9th Annual Fens Classic, which featured a total of four teams in the women's race and three teams in the men's. The women ran a 2-mile course and the men ran a 5k trek through Boston's historic Back Bay Fens area.
- Roger Williams University swept the meet with team in both the men's and women's races. The Hawks collected 28 total points on the men's side with five of the top 10 finishers while the women posted 19 points with five of the top seven finishers.
- Husson University sophomore Joel Bond (Houlton, Maine) topped the men's field with a time of 17:10 in the 5K race.
- RWU senior Sarah Mawdsley (Sandy Hook, Conn.) bested the women's field with a time of 12:25 in the 2-mile race.
- Newcomer Kyle Hajj (Methuen, Mass.) paced the men's team with a fourth-place finish, clocking in at 17:29 while his twin brother Trevor Hajj (Methuen, Mass.) was just a few places behind, finishing seventh overall with a time of 17:43.
- Senior Erik Brobst (Sweden, Mass.) rounded out the top-10 in the field with a 10th place finish in 17:56 while first-year Nick Eline (Southampton, Mass.) posted a time of 18:04 in his first collegiate race.
- Fellow newcomer Jonathan Cortez (Worcester, Mass.) was the fifth Saint to cross the finish line, registering a 16th place finish with a time of 18:35 while junior Matthew Cronin (Coventry, R.I.) clocked in at 19:43 to place 25th overall.
- Sophomore Hannah Fitzpatrick (Revere, Mass.) opened the year with a fifth-place finish with a time of 13:12 to top Emmanuel.
- First year Caitlin Cullen (Foxboro, Mass.) enjoyed a strong debut with a ninth-place finish at 13:35 while fellow first year Molly Winship (Boxford, Mass.) placed 14th with a time of 13:52, just ahead of senior Jackie Schneider (Weymouth, Mass.) who was 15th overall at 13:55.
- Freshman Liz Cameron (Raynham, Maine) rounded out the EC top five with a 19th place finish at 14:04.
- Also making their EC debuts were first year runners Mia Rowell (Candia, N.H.) and Kate Elliott (Carmel, Ind.), who finished in 32nd and 39th place, respectively.
- The Saints are back in action next weekend when they race at the Endicott Invitational on Saturday, September 7 at Bradley Palmer State Park in Topsfield, Mass. The women's race is scheduled to begin at 11:00 AM followed by the men's race at 11:45 AM.