Scores: Emmanuel College, 4; Bridgewater State University, 0
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (2-1)
Bridgewater State University Bears (0-3-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Saturday, September 7, 2019
THE LEAD: Four different Emmanuel College men's soccer players scored in an afternoon shutout of the visiting Bridgewater State University Bears, 4-0, led by sophomore Alec Erskine's (Burlington, Mass.) fourth goal of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints were the first to strike in the match as sophomore Alec Erskine (Coventry, R.I) scored his fourth goal of the season, heading the ball to the top right corner from a cross through the box by fellow sophomore Robert Danielian (Watertown, Mass.), 1-0.
- Bridgewater started to put pressure on the Saints defense through the second half of the period, but senior goalkeeper Johnny Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) saved three shots on goal in the first period to keep EC ahead, 1-0 going into the break.
- The first thirty minutes of play in the second period caused very few offensive threats for either side despite opportunities off of corners for both teams, until the Saints scored again as sophomore Sean Allen (Oxford, Mass.) scored a header off of a pass from twenty yards out by junior Giovanni Ortiz (Uncasville, Conn.) to extend the lead, 2-0.
- Less than a minute later, the Saints struck again as sophomore Kyle Monaghan (Monson, Mass.) found the back of the net, assisted by Danielian to extend the lead again, 3-0.
- EC closed the afternoon with a penalty kick goal with less than five minutes left in regulation by freshman Jake Champagne (Oakville, Conn.) after a foul by the Bears in the box to complete the shutout, 4-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Both teams were able to put twelve shots in the box score, while the Saints capitalized on finding the back of the net on four out of six shots on goal.
- Senior goalkeeper Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) recorded five saves in his second victory of the year, while senior Nate Morgado (Dartmouth, Mass.) only recorded two saves.
- The Saints will look to continue their winning streak on Thursday, September 12 as the team heads to Western Connecticut State University for a 7:00 PM start.
- Bridgewater State will continue to push towards their first win of the year on Wednesday, September 11th on the road at Rhode Island College.