PAXTON, Mass. - Four different players scored to power the Emmanuel College (8-7-0, 5-4-0 GNAC) men's soccer team past host Anna Maria College (4-14-0, 1-8-0 GNAC), 4-0 on Wednesday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) action at Caparso Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both sides played a tightly contested first half and the AMCATS almost struck first at 11:06. Hezekiah Adeyeye (Woonsocket, RI) drew a foul and sent a free kick toward the box. Jared Schuster (Endwell, NY) leaped up for the header attempt and his shot went off the left corner post and the match remained scoreless.
- However, at 38:25 the Saints broke the tie off the boot of Alec Erskine (Coventry, CT). Robert Danielian (Watertown, MA) sent a pass downfield to a running Erskine who put his shot past AMCATS keeper, Jeffre Donahue (Rockland, MA) for the 1-0 lead heading into the half.
- Once the second half was underway, Anna Maria had a great look for the equalizer from Nick Lawrence (Attleboro, MA). Lawrence handled a pass from downfield and shot right into a diving Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, MA).
- At 57:47, Danielian scored the eventual game-winner for Emmanuel when he received a pass from Thomas Roberts (Burlington, MA). Danielian corralled a pass from Roberts near the top of the box and blasted a shot in the upper right corner.
- The Saints posted two more goals later in the contest at 61:09 and 78:16 from Jack Barbour (Hollis, NH) and Dagemawi Beyna (Cambridge, MA) respectively.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ferrarini made eight saves in net to pick up the win and earn his fourth shutout of the season.
- The win for the EC senior keeper made some Emmanuel history, moving him atop the career wins category with 20 to surpass Garrett Charette '14 in the recordbooks.
- The shutout was also the 13th of keeper's career to move him into a share for the all-time program record with Charette.
- Adeyeye's seven shots paced the AMCATS offense, Ryan Todesco (Southwick, MA) was not far behind with five, Alex Nichols (Tinton Falls, NJ) , Steven Makynen (Uxbridge, MA), rounded out the top shot takers with three and two shots respectively.
- Donahue made eight saves on the afternoon for the AMCats.
- Anna Maria outshot Emmanuel 12-8 in the second half. However, the Saints held the slight advantage, 25-20.
- The squad took four corners to the Saints one in the second half. Emmanuel ultimately edged out the AMCATS, 7-5.
- The four goals by four separate players marks the second time this season EC has had four individuals score in a win, with the other coming in another 4-0 final vs. Bridgewater State back on September 7, 2019.
Emmanuel returns home for GNAC action against the University of St. Joesph (CT) on Saturday, October 26 at 12:00 PM for the program's senior day. Anna Maria has a few days off before they resume GNAC play on Saturday, October 26 at 1:00 PM at Albertus Magnus.
*Release content couresty of Anna Maria Athletic Communications