Rivier University, 3; Emmanuel College, 0 (25-21, 25-19, 25-23)
Rivier University Raiders, 21-7, 12-0 GNAC
Emmanuel College Saints; 18-12, 7-5 GNAC
Thursday, April 4, 2019
Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
THE LEAD: Senior outside hitter Erik English (Simi Valley, Calif.) became the Emmanuel College men's volleyball career leader in digs Thursday evening in a 3-0 setback to #13 Rivier University in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two teams started out equally matching each other point for point through nine until the Raiders gained a three-point lead on a kill from junior David Smith (Clinton, Ohio), a service ace, and an attack error, 12-9.
- After the Saints closed the gap on a kill from senior Alex Silva (Jamaica Plain, Mass.), the raiders extended their lead with two kills from senior Khaynen Yocca (Pittsburgh, Pa.) both assisted by junior Pedro Campos (Downey, Calif.), as well as a service ace to put them up, 15-10.
- The Saints continued to trail the Raiders' offense that was powered by kills from Smith and Yocca for the remainder of the set the to close it out with a score of 25-21.
- The set started off with back and forth action, 10-10, as both sides struggled with offense productivity, but Rivier's Yocca and Emmanuel's Silva led both teams to competitive play.
- Rivier then gained a five-point lead on four attack errors and one kill from Smith, 15-10.
- Rivier kept the lead for the remainder of the set holding on for the 25-19 win to go ahead 2-0 in the match.
- The teams started out equally matching each other point for point through five until Rivier capitalized on five attack errors and a kill from freshman Jack Normandin (Clifton Park, N.Y.), 11-5.
- The Saints' offense came alive later on in the set with three kills from junior Justyn Schueler (Trumbull, Conn), one from Silva and one from junior John Carroll (Massapequa, NY), as well as two attack errors and a bad set, to close the gap to 19-16.
- After tying the set at 23-23 behind strong play from English, the Raiders rattled off the final two points of the stanza to take the set 25-23 and the match, 3-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- English finished the night with a match-high 13 kills to go along with four digs to move to the top of the EC Men's Volleyball career-digs column with 910 digs to surpass Michael Townsend '10 who finished his career with 907.
- Schueler added 10 kills for the Saints while junior setter Seamus McDonagh (Long Beach, N.Y.) dished out a match-high 35 helpers in the defeat.
- Smith paced the Raiders with a team-high nine kills while Yocca and Normandin each chipped in with eight winners.
- Prior to the start of the match, the Emmanuel College Athletic Department honored Silva and English in a senior day ceremony for their career's at Emmanuel.
- The Saints return to action on Saturday at 11:00 AM in an important GNAC tri-match against Johnson & Wales University and Lasell College in Providence, R.I. All three teams are vying for the right to host next Tuesday's GNAC Quarterfinal tournament match
- The Raiders wrap up their regular season hosting Colby-Sawyer and Emerson in a GNAC tri-match beginning at 11:00 AM.