Score: Albertus Magnus College, 84; Emmanuel College, 86
Records: Albertus Magnus Falcons (16-2, 4-1 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (14-4, 5-0 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, January 26, 2019
THE LEAD: Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) of the Saints and Shayla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) of the Falcons each scored 33 points on the evening for their respective teams, but the backing of the Saints helped to propel an overtime victory, 86-84, on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game started off slow for both sides until the Falcons were able to go on a seven point run midway through the first quarter to take a 11-6 lead, before the Saints were able to close the gap with a made three-point jump shot by Maddie McLaughlin and jumper in the paint by junior Caitlin Cipriano (Waterbury, Conn.) to close out the first behind the Falcons, 16-15.
- EC was not able to break the Falcons' lead until junior guard Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) completed an and-one halfway through the second quarter, 27-26, but the Falcons took control right back as junior Shyla Osmond (New Haven, Conn.) made both free-throws with 4:18 left in the second, 30-29.
- A nine-point run in the final two minutes for the Saints, led by junior guard Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) and Ramirez-Tejeda, brought the Saints ahead of the Falcons to close out the first half of play, 38-33.
- The Saints were able to extend the lead early in the third to twelve as Ramirez-Tejeda and Weaver combined for twelve points and continued to have success in the paint despite tough defensive play by the Falcons, closing out the third ahead 60-48.
- The Falcons went 4-5 from behind the arc early in the fourth with Osmond connected on back-to-back shots and Jill Johnson (North Haven, Conn.) adding an additional soon thereafter to close the gap to one, 66-65, with 5:15 left in the game,
- The Falcons regained the lead on a made free throw by Emma Pierson (Branford, Conn.) with 2:52 remaining in the quarter and held the lead for the next minute and a half before McLaughlin tied the game with another three pointer to force overtime, 75-75.
- Weaver and Ramirez-Tejeda connected on early baskets in extra time to get the lead to four, but back-to-back turnovers by the Saints created a quick four point swing to tie the game back at 79-79; both players then helped to complete the victory for the Saints with a late game layup and a 5-6 free throw performance by Weaver.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Ramirez-Tejeda had her second-best performance of the year with a double-double, including 33 points, 11 rebounds, two assists and a steal.
- Osmond of the Falcons matched the game-best with 33 points, six rebounds, six steals and two assists.
- Weaver and McLaughlin combined for 30 points for the Saints and were the only other two EC athletes that were able to score double-digits.
- Cipriano and McCarthy were a dynamic duo in the paint, collecting 12 and 10 rebounds respectively while also combining for 11 points.
- The Falcons have a full week to recharge before hosting Norwich University on Saturday, February 2nd at 1PM.
- EC will be on the road on Thursday, January 31st to face Great Northeast Athletic Conference rival Johnson & Wales University at 7PM.