Score: Lasell College, 55; Emmanuel College, 90
Records: Lasell College Lasers (5-14, 0-7 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (17-4, 8-0 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, February 2, 2019
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College Women's basketball team was able to remain perfect in the Great Northeast Conference on Saturday, February 2nd in a complete team victory over the Lasell College Lasers, 90-55, led by junior guard Kayla Weaver's (West Haven, Conn.) game-high 20 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lasers started off the game hot as Breanna Muir (Wareham, Mass.) connected on back to back shots from deep but the Saints quickly took the lead back as Maddie McLaughlin (Westerly, R.I.) and Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) scored in the paint, 17-13, and closed out the quarter with reserves Jamad Fiin (Boston, Mass.) and Loredana D'Agostino (East Windsor, Conn.) pushing the offense, 22-13.
- Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) started off the second quarter opening up the game for the Saints with eight points within five minutes, 37-18, and the efficient shooting from behind the arc by McLaughlin and freshman guard Korie Mathis (Duluth, Ga.) through the remaining time continued to push the Saints ahead of the Lasers going into break 55-25.
- EC came out of the break with more fire as Ramirez-Tejeda, Weaver and McLaughlin scored a quick 10 points all off of layups and controlled the Lasers with strong defense, 67-27, before a crew off the bench for the Saints entered the game, but Lasell went on a late 11-0 run led by Amanda Ortiz (Newton, Mass.) to close out the quarter, 76-41.
- Freshman forward Riley Lahiff (Attleboro, Mass.) controlled the boards for the Saints in the final frame while Weaver continued her offensive performance from behind the arc and D'Agostino scored from within the key to complete the victory over the Lasers, 90-55.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Kayla Weaver led the day for the Saints with 20 points, two rebounds and five assists while Amanda Ortiz of the Lasers matched Weaver with 20 points, seven rebounds and two assists.
- Ramirez-Tejeda recorded another double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds while teammate McLaughlin scored 17 points going 3-4 from behind the arc.
- Every student-athlete that entered the game for the Saints scored at least one point in the victory.
- The Lasers will be looking for their first Great Northeast Athletic Conference victory on Tuesday, February 5th at 5:30PM as they travel to Johnson & Wales University.
- Emmanuel will be looking to stay undefeated in conference play on Tuesday, February 5th as they travel to last year's GNAC championship winner St. Joseph College of Maine at 6:00PM.