Score: St. Joseph's College of Brooklyn, 67; Emmanuel College, 111
Records: St. Joseph's College of Brooklyn Bears (0-2); Emmanuel College Saints (1-0)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, November 16, 2019
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College's women's squad opened the season with a strong victory against the St. Joseph's College of Brooklyn Bears, led by the senior guard duo of Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) and Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.), 111-67.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- EC moved out with an early lead as Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (Cambridge, Mass.) and Jamad Fiin (Boston, Mass.) took advantage of the full court press, but the Bears were able to stay in the game due to a myriad of fouls by the Saints halfway through the quarter, 13-7.
- Late in the first quarter the Saints began to pull away as the Bears struggled with the team defense of EC, directly leading to offense by senior guard Kayla Weaver (West Haven, Conn.) and Ramirez-Tejeda, closing out the first quarter 26-10.
- Brooklyn's Lauren Quesada (Westbury, N.Y) and Alexis Breen (Union Beach, N.J.) scored two early layups but EC's Taylor Gillis (Glen Burnie, Md.) killed the momentum with her first two collegiate three-point shots and a completed and-one, 44-18.
- Emma Kiley (Whitestone, N.Y.), Alexis Breen (Union Beach, N.J.) and Deserae Sequeira (Clark, N.J) pushed the offense for St. Joseph's through the remainder of the half, but jump shots by Loredana D'Agostino (East Windsor, Conn.), Weaver and dominant post play by Emma Denton (Monument Beach, Mass.) held the healthy lead for the Saints, 63-33.
- The starters of EC came out of the break and scored 18 points in the first four minutes of play, as Caitlin Cipriano (Waterbury, Conn.) took control of the paint for the Saints, but St. Joseph's Brooklyn stayed collected as O'Donnell and Breen produced from the free-throw line closing out the third, 89-50.
- The reserves of the Saints closed out the home opener with a strong fourth quarter showing, with Arina Ovchinnikova (Bradenton, Fla.), Korie Mathis (Duluth, Ga.) and Caitlin Barker (Plainville, Conn.) leading the offensive charge, 111-67.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Emmanuel's Ramirez-Tejeda led the evening for both squads with 26 points, 14 rebounds, five assists and three steals.
- The Bears were led by the double-double of Kiley with 24 points and 15 rebounds along with six blocks and an assist.
- The Saints won in almost every category on the evening including a strong rebounding effort, collecting 62 rebounds in comparison to St. Joseph's Brooklyn's 39.
- St. Joseph's College of Brooklyn will be playing Husson University tomorrow at 1:00 PM in the consolation game of the Tip-Off Classic while Emmanuel College will be playing St. John Fisher College at 3:00 PM in the championship game.