Score: Rivier University, 6; Emmanuel College, 16
Records: Rivier University Raiders 3-12, 2-9 GNAC; Emmanuel College Saints 7-8, 5-6 GNAC
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Wednesday, April 24th, 20189
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College women's lacrosse team closes out the regular season with a Great Northeast Athletic Conference victory against Rivier University, 16-6, on Senior Day celebrating Rachael Downey (Holliston, Mass.), Olivia Marcello (Warwich, R.I.) and Bethany Bonilla-Colon (Milton, Mass.).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints struck first within the first minute and a half as Jessica Borduas (Woodbury, Conn.) received a pass from Elizabeth Fortier (Newburyport, Mass.) to go up, 1-0.
- Emmanuel continued the scoring trend with three more unanswered goals by Kylie Rice (Bethlehem, Conn.), Emily Saef (Moultonborough, N.H) and Fortier, to go up 4-0.
- Rivier scored their first of the game on an unassisted goal by Marin Owens (Brookline, N.H.), cutting the lead 4-1.
- EC closed out the first half with five unanswered goals, two apiece from Chandra Franca (Woburn, Mass.) and Rice, along with a single from Saef to go into the break ahead, 9-1.
- The scoring continued early in the second half for the Saints before the Raiders scored two in a row to close the lead, 10-3.
- Both teams traded the next two points before the Saints were able to extend the lead to ten to force running clock from Allison Hutchings (Billerica, Mass.), closing out the contest with a victory, 16-6.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Rice led the Saints with a game-high six goals along with recording three ground balls and one draw control, while teammate Saef came close behind with four goals of her own.
- Owens and Amanda Barton (Pelham, N.H.) each scored two for the Raiders, along with a combined seven draw controls, one ground ball and an assist,
- EC senior goalie Bethany Bonilla-Colon (Milton, Mass.) let up six goals while saving eleven shots on goal.
- Emmanuel will be on the road on Saturday, April 23rd for the first round of the Great Northeast Athletic Conference tournament and will face the winner of this evening's GNAC contest of Regis College versus Johnson & Wales University.
- Rivier University concludes their season with tonight's contest.