Scores: Emmanuel College, 2; Coast Guard Academy, 1
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (1-0)
Coast Guard Academy Bears (0-1)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Rotch Playground Field
Date: Saturday, August 31, 2019
THE LEAD: Two first half goals powered the Emmanuel College women's soccer team past Coast Guard Academy, 2-1, Saturday afternoon in the season-opener for both squads at Rotch Playground Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both squads struggled to get forward early in the action, as neither team saw a legitimate goal scoring opportunity in the first 25 minutes of play.
- The Saints struck first in the 27th minute of play as junior winger Paige White (Guilford, Conn.) delivered a deep cross to the top of the penalty area finding freshman forward Jill Kutash (Mattapoisett, Mass.). Kutash took one touch to settle the cross below burying a right-footed strike to the far post for her first collegiate tally to put Emmanuel on top 1-0.
- After the goal, EC took control of the action to close the first half by controlling possession in the middle third of the pitch thanks to strong play from junior midfielder Sydney Allen (Charlestown, R.I.) and sophomore Berlin Rodriguez (Cooper City, Fla.).
- Emmanuel better what proved to be the game-winner in the 40th minute as sophomore Hannah Sullivan (Vernon, Conn.) delivered a long through-ball to senior forward Natalie Dash (East Hampton, Conn.). Dash slipped the ball past Coast Guard keeper Claire Hurley (Waterford, Conn.) to lift EC to the 2-0 lead heading into halftime.
- Coast Guard held a 4-3 advantage in total shots at the break and attempted the only corner kick in the first stanza.
- The Bears regrouped at halftime and dominated much of the second half, outshooting the hosts by a 10-2 margin.
- Despite getting outshot, Emmanuel centerbacks Kaylin Deschenes (Lynn, Mass.) and Kennedy Davignon (Woodstock, Conn.) limited the dangerous scoring chances for CGA for most of the half until a deep foul in the penalty area gave the Bears a penalty kick with 8:08 to play.
- Junior Lizzie Miller (Glen Rock, N.J.) deposited the Bears first goal of the year on the penalty, finding the upper 90 on her right hand side of the goal to cut the score to 2-1.
- Despite late pressure from the Bears, the Saints held on to the one goal cushion to secure the 2-1 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- EC senior keeper Lexi Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.) earned the win in net making four saves over 80 minutes of work before freshman Alyssa Crugnale (North Reading, Mass.) closed the door making two saves in her collegiate debut.
- The Bears outshot Emmanuel 14-5 in the loss and also owned a 5-2 advantage on corner kicks.
- The opening win for Emmanuel marks the first time since the 2014 season that the Saints picked up a "W" in their opener, snapping an 0-4 skid over the past four seasons on Opening Day.
- Hurley finished the game with two saves in net for the Bears.
- The Saints return to action on Wednesday, September 4 against Wentworth. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 PM down the street from the Emmanuel campus on WIT's Sweeney Field.
- Coast Guard Academy is also back on September 4, playing host to UMass Boston at 7:00 PM in their home-opener.