Emmanuel College, 2; Albertus Magnus College, 0
Emmanuel College Saints (4-6, 3-1 GNAC)
Albertus Magnus College Falcons (5-3, 2-3)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Wednesday, October 2, 2019
THE LEAD: Junior wingers Paige White (Guilford, Conn.) and Hannah Sheskey (Scituate, Mass.) each scored to lead Emmanuel College past Albertus Magnus College, 2-0, in Great Northeast Athletic Conference women's soccer action on Wednesday evening at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- White got the scoring started in the eighth minute of action, taking a feed from sophomore Kennedy Davignon (Woodstock, Conn.) and depositing it over the head of Albertus Magnus senior keeper Cassidy Scofield (Shelton, Conn.) to put the Saints on top, 1-0.
- The Saints had a strong chance to take a 2-0 lead just before the half as Davignon found herself deep in the penalty area but her shot from close range was denied by Scofield to keep the score at 1-0 heading into the break.
- EC held a 9-4 advantage in shots at halftime while the Falcons attempted the only corner kick in the opening stanza.
- Emmanuel added the second goal in the 54th minute as Sheskey took control of a failed clear by the visitors and ripped a shot from 30 yards out. Scofield was able to get a hand on it but the powerful strike found the back of the net for the first goal of her collegiate career.
- Junior Katherine Raposo (Warwick, R.I.) had two strong scoring chances late in the action but the first sailed over the net on a direct kick from 22 yards out while the second was denied by EC senior keeper Lexi Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.) with less than two minutes to play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Gawron picked up the win and shutout making three saves to improve to 3-6 on the season between the pipes.
- The shutout win for the Saints was their first clean slate of the year after the 2018 squad posted a program-record 10 shutouts last season.
- EC ended the game outshooting Albertus by a 22-9 margin while AMC edged Emmanuel in corner kicks, 3-2.
- Scofield made 12 saves for the Falcons and falls to 4-4 on the year in net.
- Emmanuel is now 15-3-1 all-time against Albertus Magnus.
- The Saints return to action on Saturday, October 5 when they host Suffolk University at 1:00 PM in more GNAC action.
- Albertus is also back on Saturday when they head to Northfield, Vt. to take on Norwich University at 1:00 PM in GNAC play.