Emmanuel College, 2; Colby-Sawyer, 1
Emmanuel College Saints (7-8, 6-3 GNAC)
Colby-Sawyer College Chargers (6-10, 3-6 GNAC)
Boston, Mass. – Roberto Clemente Field
Saturday, October 19, 2019
THE LEAD: Senior forward Natalie Dash (East Hampton, Conn.) netted the game-winning goal with 6:13 left in regulation to lift the Emmanuel College women's soccer team past Colby-Sawyer College, 2-1, on Saturday afternoon in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With the score locked at 1-1, the junior wingback Rachel Prevost (Tewksbury, Mass.) got into a dangerous position in the Chargers penalty area to get first year keeper Alexis LeBreton (Bangor, Maine) off her line. Prevost poked the ball over to Dash on the right side to set up the senior for her team-leading eighth goal of the year to make it 2-1 late in the action.
- Prevost also opened the game's scoring with her first goal of the campaign just 23:11 into the first half. The junior calmly stepped up to the penalty spot after a Colby-Sawyer handball in the box to convert the PK and put the Saints on the board at 1-0.
- Emmanuel held the 1-0 lead into the break, outshooting the Chargers by an 11-3 margin by halftime.
- Colby-Sawyer evened the score at the 62:20 marker with the help a miscue by the Saints backline. An Emmanuel defender attempted to play the ball backwards to senior keeper Lexi Gawron (South Hadley, Mass.) but the pass was intercepted by CSC freshman forward Hannah Marquis (Weare, N.H.) who then won the footrace to the goal for her fifth marker of the season to tie the game at 1-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Saints outshot the Chargers by a 26-5 margin in the win and also owned a 6-4 lead in cornerkicks.
- Gawron improves to 4-7 on the year in goal making three saves over 90 minutes while LeBreton posted 12 saves in defeat to fall to 2-3 on the year in net.
- EC improves to 2-0 all-time over Colby-Sawyer, posting wins each of the last two seasons since the Chargers joined the GNAC.
- Prior to the start of the contest, the Emmanuel Women's Soccer program and Athletic Department honored the five senior members on the 2019 roster. Along with Dash and Gawron, fellow seniors Kaylin Deschenes (Lynn, Mass.), Abba McKenelley (Middleton, Mass.) and Taylor Rathbun (Sheffield, Mass.) were recognized for their contributions to the program over the last four seasons.
- Emmanuel returns to action on Wednesday, October 23 for an important GNAC showdown in West Hartford, Conn. against the University of Saint Joseph squad at 4:00 PM
- Colby-Sawyer plays host to Lasell University on Tuesday, October 22 in a 3:30 PM GNAC affair.