Score: Emmanuel College 4; Saint Joseph's College (ME) 2
Emmanuel College Saints, 25-12
Saint Joseph's College (ME) Monks, 12-2
Location: Boston, Mass.- Roberto Clemente Field
Date: Thursday, May 2, 2019
The Lead: Senior shortstop Audrey Esakoff (Ventura, Calif.) went 2-for-3 with two RBI to power the #1N Emmanuel College softball team past #3N Saint Joseph's College (ME), 4-2, Thursday evening in Second Round action of the Great Northeast Athletic Conference softball tournament.
How it Happened:
- Esakoff got things started in the top of the second with a single up the middle that drove in two runs and put the Saints on top, 2-0.
- Junior Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda (South Boston, Mass.) extended the Saints' lead, 3-0, by scoring on a wild pitch.
- Saint Joe's junior Madisyn Charest (Sidney, Maine) closed gap for the Monks in the fourth bringing in two runs on a double to the left field fence, driving in a pair to cut the deficit to 3-2.
- The Saints got an insurance run in the sixth when senior Kerry Sendrick singled down the left field line driving in freshman Renae Lacroix (Cumberland, R.I.) to extend the Saints' lead, 4-2.
- EC senior hurler Megan Kieselback (Wethersfield, Conn.) made the lead stand up, retiring the side in order in the seventh to pick up the complete-game victory and improve to 12-5 on the year
Inside the Numbers:
- Esakoff, Lacroix and Sendrick all finished with two hits each for Emmanuel.
- SJM junior pitcher Caitlyn King (Old Town, Maine) suffered the loss to fall to 6-11 on the year, going the distance and allowing four runs (three earned) on seven hits while striking out two.
- Kieselback improves to 11-0 since March 31 in the circle.
- Junior Maizie Lee (Saco, Maine) was the lone Monk to collect multiple hits in the contest going 2-for-3 with a run scored.
- The Saints match their 2018 win total at 25 and are now one win shy of tying the single-season program record of 26 wins back from the 2016 campaign.
- Emmanuel will take on #2S University of Saint Joseph (CT) in the Winner's Bracket championship game in the next round of the GNAC Tournament. The winner will advance to the GNAC Championship round and need just one more victory to capture the 2019 GNAC title.
- Saint Joseph's (ME) is back in action tomorrow evening at 7:00 PM in an elimination game vs. #3S Johnson & Wales University at Daly Field in Brighton, Mass.