Scores: Eastern Nazarene College, 3; Emmanuel College, 0 (25-23, 27-25, 25-16)
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (5-9)
Eastern Nazarene College Lions (9-4)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Thursday, October 3, 2019
THE LEAD: The Lions of Eastern Nazarene College visited the EC Saints on Thursday evening and completed a three set sweep (25-23, 27-25, 25-16), led by the offensive attack of Courtney McCarthy (Merrimack, N.H.) and defensive prowess of Jenna Meacham (Millington, Mich.).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints came out in the first set strong, taking a quick 5-0 lead with a kill by Emma Fenton (Monument Beach, Mass.) and service ave by Rachel Coleman (Peabody, Mass.), but the Lions were able to fight back into the set, taking control to win 25-23 off of a kill by McCarthy.
- The second was a true battle, with the teams trading leads seven times across the set. The Saints were close to finishing with a win going up 25-24 as Molly Michaud (Cheshire, Conn.) recorded a kill, but Eastern Nazarene continued to fight and scored the next three points thanks to kills by McCarthy, 27-25.
- The final set was the least competitive of the evening, with the Lions taking a quick 5-point lead early in the set and never looked back. EC's Marissa Cataldo (Melrose, Mass.) helped on the offensive side of the net, but Eastern Nazarene was too much for the Saints, finishing the night in three sets, 25-16.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Senior McCarthy of the Lions was the only player on either side to record double-digit kills with 15 of her own along with a kill percentage of .229, one service ace and three digs.
- First-year Isabella Miller (Blackstone, Mass.) led the Saints with seven kills and eight digs, while senior Cataldo with just behind with six kills and four digs.
- EC's Coleman led the night defensively for both sides with seventeen digs while also recording sixteen assists, two kills and a service ace.
- The Saints have a quick day off before heading to New London, N.H. for a GNAC trimatch against Colby-Sawyer College and Suffolk University, matches beginning at 11AM and 1PM.
- Eastern Nazarene also only has one day off before a conference match at home against Bay Path College at 1PM.