UMass Dartmouth, 3; Emmanuel College, 1
Emmanuel College Saints (7-16, 2-6 GNAC)
UMass Dartmouth Corsairs (8-14, 2-4 LEC)
Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Thursday, October 24, 2019
THE LEAD: Senior outside hitter Nicole Silverman (Chelmsford, Mass.) collected a season-high 19 kills to go along with 13 digs to power the UMass Dartmouth women's volleyball squad over host Emmanuel College, 3-1 (25-19, 19-25, 25-19, 25-17), in non-conference action at the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The squads traded points in the opening set with neither team extending a large lead all the way to an 18-18 tie following a kill by UMD sophomore middle hitter Emma Aillet (Deer Park, Tx.) which sparked a 6-0 run to propel the visitors to a 25-19 win in the opening frame.
- Emmanuel bounced back in the second set, collecting 11 kills while forcing the Corsairs into 11 hitting errors to even the match up at 1-1 after a 25-19 win of its own.
- UMass Dartmouth never trailed in the third set, racing out to an 8-3 lead behind strong play at the net by Silverman to ride out another 25-19 win to take a 2-1 lead in the action.
- The Saints kept the fourth set closer early, but after falling behind 7-5 on an attacking error, the Corsairs rattled off three straight points to make it 10-5 after a pair of service aces by first year libero Vanessa Barreto (Natick, Mass.) to set the tone for a 25-17 win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Aillet finished the action with a career-high 16 kills while junior Tashneal Africa (Chelsea, Mass.) chipped in with five kills and four block assists for UMD.
- Emmanuel junior Molly Michaud (Cheshire, Conn.) posted eight kills, three total blocks and a pair of digs in the setback for the host Saints (7-17), who received a combined 11 kills and four digs from freshman Isabella Miller (Blackstone, Mass.) and sophomore Kelli Haigh (Woodbury, Conn.).
- Senior Marissa Cataldo (Melrose, Mass.) added five kills and 10 digs for Emmanuel, which received 13 set assists and eight digs from freshman Jalen Winfrey (Rochester, N.H.) along with 10 digs and two service aces from freshman Samantha Carrigan (Plaistow, N.H.).
- UMD senior Jillian Sykora (Waterford, Conn.) tallied 17 digs and three assists for the winners, who collected 12 digs and four service aces from senior Meghan Mullinax (Lake Balboa, Calif.), 11 digs from freshman Vanessa Barreto (Natick, Mass.) and five set assists from junior Riley Thomas (Fairhaven, Mass.).
- The Corsairs improve to 4-3 all-time against the Saints and have now won the last three meetings.
- Emmanuel returns to action on Saturday, October 26th hosting a Great Northeast Athletic Conference tri-match with a contest at 11:00 AM vs. Regis and a Senior Day match at 3:00 PM vs. Norwich.
- UMass Dartmouth is also back this Saturday for an 11:00 AM Little East Conference tilt at home against Western Connecticut State University.