Emmanuel College, 1; Regis College, 3
Emmanuel College, 2; Norwich University, 3
Emmanuel College Saints (7-19, 2-8 GNAC)
Regis College Pride (10-16, 4-5 GNAC)
Norwich University Cadets (15-9, 7-3 GNAC)
Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Saturday, October 26, 2019
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College women's volleyball team dropped a pair of Great Northeast Athletic Conference matches, falling to Regis College 3-1 before dropping a 3-2 heartbreaker to Norwich University.
HOW IT HAPPENED - REGIS
- The Saints took the first set by a 25-20 score and led 24-22 in the second set before the Pride clawed back with three straight points to extend the frame. After a 25-25 deadlock, Regis rallied for back-to-back points to take the second set 27-25 and shift the momentum.
- Regis stayed hot, scoring the first four points in the third set before extending the lead to 8-3 on a service ace by Emily Fagundo. EC would pull within a point on four separate occasions in the set but never tied the score as the Pride went on to win the set 25-22 to take a 2-1 lead.
- EC looked poised to send the match to a fifth set, jumping out to a 7-3 lead before Regis rattled off four straight points to thwart that idea. The sides traded points all the way to a 20-20 standstill before the Pride closed out the set for a 25-22 win to take the match, 3-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED - NORWICH
- The Saints came out with high energy for a 25-21 first set win but came back down in the second frame as the Cadets slammed home 15 kills to capture a 25-22 win to even the action at 1-1.
- Norwich was on fire in the third frame, hitting a combined .536 (16-1-28) from the floor to cruise to a 25-9 win to go ahead in the match, 2-1.
- Emmanuel showed heart and forced a fifth set with a convincing 25-17 win in the fourth stanza, hitting .342 as a team on 16 kills.
- In the decisive fifth set, Emmanuel led 4-3 early before NU reeled off four straight points to take control for good en route to a 15-11 win for the 3-2 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- EC senior outside hitter Marissa Cataldo (Melrose, Mass.) combined for 33 kills and 29 digs on the day.
- First year libero Samantha Carrigan (Plaistow, N.H.) added 38 digs over the afternoon.
- First year setters Jalen Winfrey (Rochester, N.H.) and Rachel Coleman (Peabody, Mass.) added 41 and 47 assists on the day, respectively.
- With the two losses, the Saints were officially eliminated from the 2019 GNAC postseason.
- Prior to the start of the contest, the Emmanuel Women's Volleyball program and Athletic Department honored the three senior members on the 2019 roster. Along with Cataldo, fellow seniors Alexandra Mezzo (Naugatuck, Conn.) and Shannon Carroll (Massapequa, N.Y.) were recognized for their contributions to the program over the last four seasons.
- EC returns to action on Thursday, October 31 for their final home match of the season when they play host to Rhode Island College at 7:00 PM in a non-conference affair.