Score: Emmanuel College, 2; Rhode Island College, 3 (25-16, 15-25, 19-25, 14-16)
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (7-20, 2-8 GNAC); Rhode Island College Anchorwomen (9-16, 1-7 LEC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Thursday, October 31, 2019
THE LEAD: Sophomore outside hitter Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, Mass.) took control of the evening for the Anchorwomen of Rhode Island College, paving the way to a five set victory of Emmanuel College on Thursday evening on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emmanuel controlled the first set handedly as Elizabeth Syverson (Huntington, Vt.) and Marissa Cataldo (Melrose, Mass.) recorded early points in the set and continued to put tallies on the board with kills throughout, closing the first set 25-16.
- The tide started to change through the second set after an early run by the Saints was negated by strong serving by RIC's Jenaeya Evans (Marietta, Ga.), Samantha Borges (Swansea, Mass.) and Amelia Murphy (North Attleboro, Mass.), 18-13. The Anchorwomen were able to go on a 7-2 push to close out the set with two late kills by Jessica Brielmaier (West Greenwich, R.I.), 25-15.
- RIC pushed their momentum into the third set and took a quick 19-5 lead as Murphy and Angelly Polanco (Providence, R.I.) put the Anchorwomen on their backs with kills across the net. EC fought back to close the set to 19-14 after three service aces by senior Alexandra Mezzo (Naugatuck, Conn.) and errors by RIC, but kills by Murphy and Sadie Swap (Ivoryton, Conn.) finished the third for RIC, 25-19.
- Samantha Carrigan (Plaistow, N.H.) brought the Saints into the fourth set with a strong service attack to push EC ahead early 8-1. Despite a continued fight by the Anchorwomen, the Saints were able to take the set, 25-20, led late by Tenzin Dotsang (Cambridge, Mass.) and Anna Caristi (North Attleboro, Mass.).
- The final set seemed as though Emmanuel was moving towards a victory, going ahead 11-5, but after a Rhode Island College timeout the Anchorwomen marched back into the set as Wynter Conlon (East Walpole, Mass.) recorded two service aces which turned the tide towards RIC, 16-14.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Murphy recorded 17 kills on the evening victory for the Anchorwomen, the most for either team, along with twelve digs and one service aces.
- EC's was led by senior captain Cataldo with ten kills, one service ace and eleven digs.
- The Saints will close out the regular season with a Great Northeast Athletic Conference trimatch against Rivier University and Albertus Magnus College on Saturday, November 2nd at Rivier at 11AM & 1PM.
- The Anchorwomen close out the regular season with tonight's victory over the Saints and are moving on to the Little East Conference tournament.